Venue: The Council House, Burcot Lane, Bromsgrove. View directions
Contact: Sheena Jones
To receive apologies for absence and notification of substitutes
Apologies for absence were received from Councillors J. M. Boswell, S. R. Colella, K. A. Grant-Pearce and C. J. Tidmarsh. It was confirmed that Councillor L. Turner was present as a substitute for Councillor Colella.
Declarations of Interest
To invite Councillors to declare any Disclosable Pecuniary Interests or Other Disclosable Interests they may have in items on the agenda, and to confirm the nature of those interests.
There were no declarations of interest.
The minutes of the meeting of the Electoral Matters Committee held on 3rd November 2014 were submitted.
RESOLVED that the minutes be approved as a correct record.
The Chairman informed Members that the purpose of the meeting was to consider a report in respect of the proposed boundary changes to Clent and Hagley parish areas.
The Head of Legal and Democratic Services provided Members with background information in respect of the review and advised that Members were being asked to consider the recommendations and determine which recommendation would now form the subject of the stage two consultation as detailed within the report.
Whilst presenting the report the Head of Legal and Democratic Services highlighted the following:
· The Council’s duty to undertake a community governance review on receipt of a valid petition, which had instigated the review in this instance.
· Members should ensure that the review reflects the identities and interests of the communities within the area.
· For the purpose of good governance it was important that reviews were carried out and it was as number of years since the last one.
· Those that would be affected by the changes had been consulted together with other interested parties.
· The Committee’s objective was to ensure good governance within the communities affected.
· Whilst it was important that Members take into account the views of the residents, this was one part of their consideration and that they must always refer back to the principles of good governance and community relevance and identity.
· Planning Officers had been consulted on the proposals and confirmed that no development was proposed in the affected area B over the next five years but that the Council may be subject to a Green Belt Review at some point in the future.
· The agreed recommendation would then go on to the second stage consultation and the results of this would be the subject of a s subsequent report to this Committee before a final decision would be made by this Committee.
Following presentation of the report Members raised a number of questions including:
· Whether there was an indication of how many of the responses received were from each particular parish.
· The large number of responses together with a large majority in favour of a particular option.
· Residents from each parish having an equal opportunity to respond to the consultation.
· Details of the existing parish boundaries and the impact on the residents affected by any change which took place.
· The impact of each option and any subsequent changes that would arise from the final decision.
· The next steps in the process and what form the consultation would take.
It was confirmed that following the decision reached by the Committee a further period of consultation would be carried out with a final report being brought back to the Committee in October 2015 for its further consideration.
After further discussion it was
RESOLVED to adopt Option 1 as the Council’s draft recommendation and that a further consultation be carried out in respect of Option 1, which is to transfer the areas labelled “A” and “B” from Clent to Hagley parish council area, as indicated on the consultation plan, Appendix 1 attached ... view the full minutes text for item 11/14
To consider any other business, details of which have been notified to the Head of Legal, Equalities and Democratic Services prior to the commencement of the meeting and which the Chairman considers to be of so urgent a nature that it cannot wait until the next meeting